Tuesday, August 02, 2011

"Unexpected Love" Chapter 8

It's a short chapter but it speaks volumes.-Makka (Waiting For Love)

Unexpected Love
Chapter 8


“Thanks for the ride, Jared”, I say softly as I get out of the car.
“No problem. Take care”, the driver Jared says.
“You too”, I wave goodbye to him and his car full of friends as they drive off.
It’s five minutes to midnight. I stand in front of my house. The lights are out, so I know my parents are asleep. It is raining at a steady rhythm and I feel the rain hit my face and neck and roll off my skin.
The tears I have held back while in Jared’s car stream down my face mixing with the raindrops on my skin. I cry tears through me and I drop to my knees on my lawn. My heaves and sobs are uncontrollable as I shake from the wetness of my skin and the shock of the nerves in my body. I cry! I cry from being violated, from being a disappointment to others, and from losing Rick!
I turn my head in the direction of Rick’s house. I slowly rise to my feet grabbing my heels and purse in my hands. I slowly begin to limp across the street. I stand outside of his door for several minutes before I finally ring the bell. I ring and ring and ring. Pausing in between each ring for minute intervals.
Please, Rick answer the door! Please!
I begin to cry again. Heavy sobs consuming me and expressing themselves on my face and body. I stand outside of Rick’s house for what feels like hours but really is only about fifteen minutes. I finally stop ringing Rick’s bell. I take a few steps back and look up into Rick’s window. Are you up there? I think to myself. I turn around and slowly walk back across the street as the rain begins to fall harder.

“Rick, we still on for tomorrow?” Jose asks as he pulls up in front of my house.
“Definitely”, I laugh. I turn back to look at Carl and Sabrina in the back.
“We had fun tonight”, Sabrina laughs. “But paintball is going to rule tomorrow!”
Carl pumps his fist in the air letting out a cheer. I can’t but laugh again.
“See you guys tomorrow”, I say before getting out the car.
“Later”, Carl and Sabrina yell in unison.
“See ya, man”, says Jose.
When I get inside the house, I take a shower. While I put on my pajamas and get ready for bed the door bell starts to ring. I get the urge not to answer and just go to bed. But as the ringing continues almost close to panic I decide it’s best to answer.
As I make my way down the stairs, I think about how great it is Mom isn’t home. She went out on a date with a man from her job. If she had heard someone ringing her bell at this time of night she would have a conniption.
I walk up to the door and look through the peephole. When I see the figure on the other side of the door I stumble back in shock. I rub my eyes and look through the peephole again. My eyes weren’t playing tricks on me. On the other side of my door stood Marva Mallory, soaking wet, in what seemed to be her prom dress. Prom was tonight, what the hell was she doing ringing my bell at close to midnight?
I don’t open the door. I have no reason to. I have nothing to do with Marva anymore. I stare at her through the peephole as she continues to ring the bell as several minutes begin to pass. I see her begin to cry and for some reason it just makes me angry. What did she want me to do? Comfort her? Open my heart to her again after she refused to open her heart to me just once. I pull myself away from the peephole and make my way back upstairs.
When I get back into my room I close the door behind me to muffle the sound of the doorbell. As I pull the covers back on my bed, I stop and walk towards my window. I pull back the curtain and watch as Marva continues to ring my bell. The sight sickens me. I close the window and walk towards my bed and sit down. Suddenly, the bell stops ringing. She’s gone, finally! To verify my assumption I quickly move to the window and look out of it. I see a soaking wet Marva limping across the street disappearing behind sheets of rain.
“Goodbye Marva”, I think to myself. “Never come back again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment