Tuesday, August 02, 2011

"Unexpected Love" Chapter 7

Here is the seventh chapter of "Unexpected Love". Glad to finally be putting it up!-Makka (Waiting For Love)



Unexpected Love 
Chapter 7


I am dancing in Jose’s basement along with Carl, Jose, Sabrina, and Mrs. Lopez. Carl brought over his Ipod docking station and we are all jamming to the songs on his playlist, some he made himself others by popular artists. Tonight was prom at Central Bucks but since me, Carl, and Jose didn’t have any dates or any chances of getting dates we decided to spend our prom night having our own little party.
We all laugh and cheer as Mrs. Lopez glides with Sabrina across the basement floor. Mrs. Lopez has been battling breast cancer for some months now. She is on chemotherapy, which has resulted in her being very weak. But tonight you wouldn’t be able to tell that as she laughs and dances with her children and their friends.
After trying my best to ‘Crank That Soulja Boy’ I sit my no dancing self down on one of the plastic chairs in the basement. I watch as Jose does the dance perfectly, while Carl struggles to put one foot behind the other. Sabrina hands Mrs. Lopez over to Jose, who begins to teach his Mom the dance. Sabrina sits down on the plastic chair next to me, a smile spread wide across her face.
“Whew, I’m tired. It’s hard trying to keep up with Soulja Boy”, Sabrina says.
“I know. His moves are way too complicated”, I respond.
“So is this better than prom or what?” she asks.
“You betcha. I rather be at a basement party with my friends than at a ball where no one knows me.”
“I thought you would be going though. You did say you and Marva Mallory had a thing going on,” Sabrina says intently.
“Me and her didn’t work out”, I say bluntly.
“I’m sorry to hear that, Rick. What happened?” Sabrina asks sympathetically.
“She didn’t think we could be together because we were ‘different’”, I say resentfully.
“Different how? If you don’t mind me asking”, she quizzed.
“She’s popular, I’m not. She says she has a ‘reputation’ to uphold.”
Sabrina nods her head in understanding, “Oh, I see.”
“Can you believe she told me this after making out with me and after I spilled my heart out to her?” I ask frustrated.
I had avoided thinking or talking about Marva at all over the past week. But my anger for her easily came back as soon as I started talking about her.
“Well, that’s her lost. You’ll find better, Rick. I know you will. Wait until you get to college, you’ll meet a girl who doesn’t have all of those silly, immature hang-ups”, Sabrina reassured.
“I sure hope so”, I say.
We continue to watch the others dance for several minutes before we get back up to join them. We all laugh, dance, and have a great time. I couldn’t have asked for a better prom night.

I stare at myself in the mirror as Mom zips up the back of my dress. Tonight was the big night. Prom night. My dress is a strapless, black gown with green trimmings around the bust. I wear a small, silver necklace with matching stud earrings, and black stilettos.
“You look beautiful, sweetie”, Mom says giving me the once-over.
“Thanks, Mom”, I say as make sure my chignon and makeup is still perfect. Earlier that day Amber and I went to our appointment at the Max Antonio salon to get our hair and makeup done. We were there for a few hours before heading back to our respective houses to finish getting ready.
Just then the doorbell rings.
“That’s Ronnie and the others”, I say nervously.
“I’ll head down. Come down when you feel ready”, Mom says as she walks to the door.
I continue to look myself over to make sure everything is right. I grab my silver clutch and make sure all my necessities are in there.
Cell phone?
Check.
Lip Gloss?
Check.
Tissues?
Check.
I.D.?
Check.
Twenty Dollars?
Check.
Great, I had everything. I gave myself one more check in the mirror before heading out my room. When I reach the top of the stairs I hear my Dad downstairs.
“Here, she comes”, he says.
I slowly begin to descend down the stairs. As soon as I reach the middle of the stairs Mom starts snapping her digital camera. I giggle as flash after flash captures my grand entrance.
“You look beautiful, sweetie”, Dad says as he pulls me into his arms.
“Thanks, Daddy”, I say. As I pull away from Dad my eyes fall on a tuxedoed Ronnie Brimstone standing behind him. He gives me a smile and reluctantly I smile back. I have resolved to be pleasant with Ronnie tonight. But only for tonight.
“Marva, you look gorgeous”, Ronnie says as he takes my small hand into his big one.
I hear my Dad clear his throat as Ronnie holds onto my hand a little bit longer than necessary.
“Sorry, sir”, Ronnie smiles to Daddy sheepishly.
Daddy nods his head at Ronnie while casting him a warning look.
Ronnie turns back to me and pulls out a corsage.
“I knew your dress would have green in it and lucky for me this matches the green in your dress”, Ronnie says as he carefully places the corsage around my wrist.
“Thank you”, I say.
“Let me take some pictures of you guys”, Mom says.
“Mom, hurry we have to go.”
Mom snaps for what seems like forever but really is only for several seconds.
“Alright, bye now”, Mom waves to me and Ronnie as we head out the door.
“Bye”, me and Ronnie say as we wave back to my parents.
“Have my daughter back by midnight”, Daddy bellows.
“Yes, sir. You don’t have to worry she’s in good hands”, Ronnie says innocently.
When we reach the limousine Ronnie holds the door open to let me enter first before following behind me. In the limo sits Amber; her boyfriend, Lamar; Ashton, one of Ronnie’s friends; and sitting next to Ashton was my brunette, friend Staci.
Amber wore a red, sequined gown with matching pumps and clutch. Her hair too was styled in a chignon and gold chandelier earrings hung above her shoulders. Lamar sat next to her in a white tuxedo and his long hair was braided freshly in cornrows.
“Marva, you look gorgeous”, Amber squeals reaching over to give me a hug.                          
“You really do”, Staci adds genuinely.
“Thanks, girls. You both look beautiful”, I say.
“Thanks”, Amber and Staci say simultaneously.
“Well, I think you girls are the most beautiful women I have ever laid eyes on”, Ashton says flirtatiously.
Me, Amber, and Staci can’t help but giggle.
After Ronnie, Ashton is the most desired boy in school. He’s point guard on the school basketball team and favors a young Brad Pitt.
Ronnie and Lamar glare at Ashton, but Ashton simply dismisses their looks.
“Ashton, ever the charmer”, Lamar says sarcastically.
“So, Marva you excited about you and Ronnie winning prom queen and king?” Staci asks me.
“Staci, we haven’t won yet. And you and Ashton might win it.”
Staci shakes her head, “No way. Everyone knows you and Ronnie are going to win.”
“We sure are”, Ronnie boasts as he puts his arm around my shoulder. I want to move away but that would go against my decision to be nice.
As we pull up to the Central Bucks auditorium we notice the crowd of students streaming into it.
“It’s show time, peeps”, Amber exclaims.
“Yeah, let’s give these losers what they need”, I add.
As the six of us pile out the car it seems as if all eyes are on us. The sea of students part to let us into the auditorium. We’re the stars of this show.
“You look great Marva”, I hear a small voice say.
I turn my head in the direction of a petite, blonde who is staring at me in awe.
“I know”, I say to her dryly.
When enter the auditorium that is packed with students. The music blares from the DJ’s booth. We make our way over to our table as we watch our classmates party around us.
“Marva! Amber! Staci!” A voice shouts from behind us.
We turn to see Rebecca Cohen and her sidekick Melanie Lee walking towards us. Behind them are two guys, both of them friends of Ronnie; Tyler Stewarts and Marcus Munn.
“Hey”, Staci says waving at them.
Melanie stays silent but waves at us and smiles.
“You guys look gorgeous”, Rebecca says in sweet voice. “Especially you, Marva. Congrats on being nominated for prom queen.” Rebecca eyes me with a superior look that seems to be reserved specifically for me.
“Thanks. And congratulations to you and Tyler on your nomination as well”, I say giving her a fake smile.
“Thank you”, Rebecca says nodding your head. “Well, we better head over to our table. Come on Tyler!”
Tyler turns irritably in his date’s direction. He and Marcus fist pound Ronnie, Lamar, and Ashton before turning to walk away with Rebecca and Melanie.
We sit at our table to talk and eat, but mostly talk.
“Let’s go dance”, Ronnie says taking my hand.
“Okay”, I say.
Me and Ronnie dance to a mid tempo Usher song as we glide across the floor.
“You look so beautiful tonight”, Ronnie says softly.
“Thank you. You look very handsome yourself”, I say to Ronnie sweetly.
 “We’re definitely going to win prom king and queen titles”, Ronnie says.
I tilt my head to the side, “I didn’t think you’d care about us winning.”
“Well, you seem to care a great deal about it. So as your date I think it’s only right I care about it too.”
I can’t help but chuckle. Even though I don’t really like Ronnie, I have to admit he’s quite the charmer.
“See I can be good to you”, Ronnie says softly as he pulls me closer into his arms.
“Ronnie, I didn’t go to prom with you so you could persuade me to be your girlfriend”, I sigh.
Ronnie stares at me intently, “I have been trying to make you my girl since freshman year and for whatever reason you keep turning me down.”
“I just don’t want to be with you, Ronnie.”
“Give me one good reason why not?”
I cock my eyebrow as we continue to move with the music. “You need a reason? Well, one is that you like to beat the hell out of any guy that shows interest in me and thus scare them off.”
Ronnie shrugs his large shoulders, “I was just looking out for your best interests.”
“I never asked that from you, Ronnie”, I snort angrily.
“Look I really want you to be my girl. I’m going to Notre Dame this fall. I’d really like you to come with me.”
“And do what, Ronnie?”
“Just be with me.”
“NO! When are you going to realize that I don’t want to be with you?” I spat angrily. Some couples around us hear me and stare at us awkwardly.
Ronnie furrows his brows and his green eyes penetrate mine harshly, “You’re gonna regret not being with me Marva.”
“Yeah, I’m sure I’ll have many sleepless nights over it.” I try to pull myself away from Ronnie but he just pulls me closer in his arms.
“Let. Go. Of. Me.”, I say as I wrench out of his stronghold.
“Marva get back here”, Ronnie bellows as I walk quickly back to our table.
I ignore him as he stands fuming on the dance floor. I quickly sit back down at our table next to Amber, who turns to look over at me.
“What’s wrong?” she asks noticing my disgusted expression.
“Ronnie. Just doesn’t get it!”
“Marva, just try to get along with him. If only for prom night”, Amber sighs heavily.
“Whatever”, I say as I nod my head.
A few minutes later Ronnie sits back down at the table with two drinks of fruit punch in both hands.
“You thirsty?” he asks me bluntly.
“Thanks”, I say while taking the punch.
Ronnie and I don’t talk for much of the night. I direct my attention on Amber, Staci and a few of my teachers who I run into at the punch table. I am engrossed in conversation with my friend Beverly when I see Principal Randall approach the microphone onstage.
“All right everyone, please quiet down. We are about to announce your new Prom King and Queen.”
The auditorium starts to settle down and I bid Beverly goodbye as I make my way back over to our table.
Ms. Randall waits until the auditorium is fairly quiet before continuing. “Okay, the nominees for 2010 Central Bucks High School Prom King and Queen are…Tyler Stewarts and Rebecca Cohen… Ashton Collingsworth and Staci Rivers…Carol Fletcher and Peter DePaul. And last but not least, Ronnie Brimstone and Marva Mallory.”
There was an unbearable silence as Ms. Randall slowly opens the envelope. Amber slipped her hand into mine and squeezes it tightly. She wanted this for me, just as much as I did.
“And the new Prom King and Queen of Central Bucks High School are…Ronnie Brimstone and Marva Mallory!”
I let out an excited squeal as the auditorium erupted in cheers and applause. I was so overcome with happiness I didn’t even mind when Ronnie pulled me into his arms and walked us towards the stage.
“Congratulations Marva!
“Way to go Ronnie!”
“I knew you guys were going to win. Congraulations!”
I didn’t see the faces of the congratulators but I definitely heard them. Me and Ronnie climb up the stairs to the stage and walk up to Ms. Randall, who hugs and congratulates us enthusiastically. We stand proudly on stage as Ms. Randall crowns me and Ronnie. After being crowned we sit on our ‘royal thrones’, which were actually chairs decorated by the art club. We watch as our peers go back to dancing and enjoying themselves while we watch over them from our ‘thrones’.
“See aren’t you at least happy you came with me for this?” Ronnie asks in my ear.
“Yeah, this was well worth it. Thank you for asking me to be your date.”
“No problem.”
***~~~***
“So, Marcus is having a party at his house. It’s from now ‘til sunrise and anybody who’s somebody will be there!” Staci exclaims to Amber and I in the girl’s bathroom.
“Sounds awesome!” Amber says while applying her cherry lip gloss. “Marcus always throws the best parties!”
“Are his parents going to be there?” I ask Staci. I try to avoid chaperoned parties like the plague. Way too much supervision for my tastes.
“Nope. They’re gone for the week.”
“Then it sounds like a plan. Come on girls. Let’s grab our guys and get the hell here”, I say as we make our way out of the bathroom.
Two hours after being ‘throned’, prom is still going on. The DJ is playing a slow jam by Justin Timberlake as mostly lovers sway across the dance floor.
“You girls wanna go to Marcus’ party?” Lamar asks us as we reach our table.
“Actually, babe we already decided that we’re going” Amber says flirtatiously as she bends over to kiss her man.
“Ugh! Get a room you guys”, Ashton jokes after Lamar stands and begins to firmly squeeze Amber’s butt.
“Shut up, Ashton”, Lamar says reluctantly pulling his lips away from Amber’s.
“Let’s get outta here”, Ronnie says while rising up to leave.
We all start to gather our things as we begin to leave. When we get outside our limo pulls up and we all get inside. The ride over to Marcus’ house is filled with conversation about our post high school activities and goals. I mostly stay quiet not having much to add to the conversation.
It seems as if everyone who left prom came straight to Marcus’. The sound of music fills the house and the place is packed. We all try to ease our way over to the living room where the party seems centralized. We push pass people dancing, making out, and chatting to friends.
“Hey guys! Glad you could make it!” Marcus exclaims. His voice slurred from too much alcohol. “Ronnie! Marva! Congratulations!”
“Thanks man”, Ronnie says coolly. “Where’s the beer man? I’m tryin’ to get smashed tonight!”
“Totally!” Ashton agrees.
I look up at Ronnie as if he’s crazy. “What?! I didn’t go out with you so you could get hammered!”
“Chill babe”, Ronnie says dismissively.
“Come on. It’s over here.” Marcus leads Ronnie, Staci, and Ashton away, leaving the rest of us behind.
“Just hang with us” Amber says as she loops her arm through mine.
Amber, Lamar and I make our way through the house towards the backyard. There is a sizeable and less rowdy group out there. I see a lot of kids I know to be in the glee club and band.  And a few kids from Army ROTC.
We grab some chairs and sit down to enjoy the fresh air. I sit quietly as Amber and Lamar talk to each other.
“Marva?” I hear a confident voice behind me.
I turn around to see April Rayford, a tall attractive black girl who I used to be really close with during freshman year.  As high school went on, we drifted apart as our interests and friends become more different.
“Oh my God! How are you April?” I ask getting up to greet her.
“I’m fine. I’m doing well”, she laughs lightly as we hug.
“That’s great! You look amazing.” April wears a silk black gown, that shimmers in the moonlight. She looks like a supermodel compared to her usually tomboy appearance.
“Thanks. So do you ‘Miss Prom Queen’”, April jokes.
I can’t help but laugh. April has a great sense of humor and is always teasing those she knows.
“What have you been up to?” I ask.
“Nothing much. Still helping my dad with his car shop. And this fall I’m going to get my certification in automotive mechanics at the Bridges Career Institute.”
“That’s wonderful. You always said you were going to be a mechanic.”
“Yup. And when Dad retires I’m taking over the shop. So what about you? Are you still going to be a dancer?”
“I don’t really know. I’m still weighing my options”, I lie. “By the end of the summer I’ll know for sure.”
“Take your time”, April nods to me.
“Yeah, I…”
“Marva, you look so gorgeous! I voted for you and Ronnie!” says a high pitched voice out of nowhere. I turn around to see an Asian girl looking directly at me.
“Don’t you see me talking!” I yell at the girl.
“I-I just wanted to say ‘hi’”, the girl says giving me a hurt expression.
“Why don’t you get lost”, I tell the twit abruptly.
The girl looks from me to April and back at me before turning around to walk away.
“Loser”, I huff with a smirk on my face. “So what were we talking about?”
“Gee, Marva. Don’t you think that was cold?” April eyes me curiously.
“April, please”, I roll my eyes.
April shrugs her shoulders and slightly shakes her head. I know April didn’t appreciate how I talked to that girl. But I don’t care. Who was she to interrupt me while I was having a conversation?
“So are you and Ronnie finally going out?” Aprils asks after an awkward pause in our conversation.
“No. We’re just here at prom together.”
“Oh. Hey, what about you and that Rick guy. A lot of people said you two had a thing going on.”
I cock my head back and laugh loudly. “Rick Collins and me? Together? I don’t think so. Someone told you wrong.” I lie.
“Yeah. I guess you’re right. Rick is more of a softy. You seem like you want more of a bad boy.”
“Not a bad boy per se. Just a man who can keep up with ‘Marva Mallory’. If you know what I mean.”
“I know what you mean”, April says.
“April!” A guy calls from behind us. April looks behind her to a guy I assume is her date.
“Well, gotta go. See you later Marva. It was good seeing you.”
“You too April. Take care.”
We quickly hug before April walks off in the direction of her date.
“Marva?” Amber says behind me.
“Yeah?” I say turning to face her.
“Lamar and I are going to get out of here. We’ve got a special night planned”, Amber says secretively.
“Okay. I’m going to go find Ronnie. I think I’m gonna head back home.”
“Cool. See you later babe.”
“You two be safe”, I say as Amber and I exchange quick hugs.
“We will. Call me if you need me.”
“I will.”
“Later, Marva”, Lamar calls out.
“Bye.”
After Amber and Lamar leave I try to find Ronnie. I know he is probably drunk as all hell. But I want to get home and since we came together, we’d might as well leave together. When I get to the living room I see Staci and Ashton slumped on the couch looking dazed and out of place. The smell of weed permeates the air and I see what looks like sherm sticks on the coffee table.
“Staci!” I yell over the noise.
Staci looks up at me with half hooded eyes that try hard to focus on me.
“W-Whaaa?” She slurs.
“You know where Ronnie is?”
“N-Noooo. Hey, hey Ash baby? W-Where’s R-Ronnie?”
“Upstairs”, Ashton breathes without opening his closed eyes.
“When I find Ronnie, I’m leaving. Are you guys going too?”
The smell of weed is nauseating. I look to my left and see a guy and girl making out on the floor against the wall. The guy has his hands down the girl’s pants stroking her while they kiss. But she’s too stoned to even realize what he’s doing to her in front of a room full of people. I turn my head away in disgust.
“Nah, we’re staying. Going to have a little more fun”, Ashton whispers as he opens his eyes to look at one of the sherm sticks on the table.
“Fine.” I head towards the staircase leaving my stoned friends behind. Drugs are their thing, not mine. Ashton and Staci probably won’t leave until tomorrow morning. Standing at the staircase is Rebecca Cohen talking to a guy who is not her date Tyler. She flirts with the guy shamelessly, while she flips her hair and licks her lips. Maybe feeling eyes on her she whirls around to see who’s behind her. She notices me and gives me one of her arrogant expressions, cocking her eyebrow, before turning back around to talk to the guy.
When I reach the top of the stairs I decide to use the bathroom first. Best to get it out of the way now. When I’m finished in the bathroom I start to look for Ronnie. Marcus lives in a six bedroom house, plenty of rooms to cover. I peaked in each bedroom before I reach the fourth where my eyes meet with Ronnie’s who is sitting on the bed. His eyes hold a slightly hazy look but he recognizes me immediately. In a flash he hops off the bed and heads towards me. Instead of saying anything he walks to close the bedroom door behind me.
“Ronnie, I’m ready to go”, I say as I cross my arms.
“Just a minute babe”, he whispers as he walks towards me.
“Ronnie, I’m not your babe. Now let’s go.” I speak bluntly wanting Ronnie to know I’m serious.
“Damn, Marva! Why are you always being a b-bitch?!” Ronnie spats.
“What?! Ronnie you’re the bitch! Not me!” I look closely at Ronnie’s hazy eyes and I realize that they’re cloudier than I initially thought.
“I can’t believe I’m arguing with you! Just how high are you?” I exclaim.
“Just a little sherm, baby. That’s it.” Ronnie moves quickly towards me wrapping his arms around my waist.
“Enough with the damn pet names. Now let me go.” I try to push him away. But his broad shoulders are immovable. Ronnie nozzles my neck and he breathes heavily under my earlobe. I feel my stomach turn in a knot and I try to push down the revulsion that builds in my stomach.
“I’ve wanted you for so long”, Ronnie says as he flicks my ear with his tongue.
“Ronnie stop.” I move frantically against him but he seems unfazed by my movements. Ronnie lowers his large hands down my back before laying them on my behind.
“So soft”, he whispers to himself.
“Hold still now”, he says firmly and clearly to me.
I still fight against him. But my small frame against his large one is no match. The more I move the tighter he grips me in a bear hug.
“Ronnie! Stop! Please!” I shriek.
“Calm down. I’m just want to hold you.” Ronnie begins to rub his lips across my neck.
“If you don’t stop I’ll scream”, I blurt out trying desperately to hold back the tears that are threatening to spill over.
Ronnie pulls back from me slightly. Maybe he got the message. But that thought is quickly thrown away as Ronnie roughly picks me up and tosses me roughly onto the bed. As I land I feel the bed sink as Ronnie scrambles over towards me. I let out a mortified scream that is quieted within seconds as Ronnie smashes his mouth onto mine catching my cry in his throat. I squirm and wrestle as Ronnie works his way completely overtop me. Unfortunately, my movements seem to turn him on because he grinds his pelvis hard into mine.
Ronnie moves his hands down to his pants. When I hear the sound of him unzipping his fly I fight harder trying to push him off of me even though it comes to no avail. Ronnie tears his lips from mine and pierces my eyes with his dark ones as he forces his hand over my mouth.
“Shut the fuck up and stay still. Don’t make me fuck you up Marva! I can make this much worse than it has to be! I’m going to move my hand, but if you make one sound I’ll knock the shit out of you. Do you understand?”
The menacingly, cold glare Ronnie gives me sucks all the fight away from me. I have no reason to doubt what he threatened. An image of Rick’s bruised and cut face flashes into my mind and immediately my squirming stops. I nod my head in agreement.
Ronnie flashes me a satisfied and sickening smile. “Good girl.”
I lay on the bed staring at the ceiling as Ronnie yanks my dress up above my waist. He reaches into his pants and pulls out his erect cock. It’s a red, angry, and vein filled monster just like its owner. Ronnie begins to stroke it up and down with one hand as he tears my thong away with the other. I try to hold back the sob in my throat. Not wanting to give him the satisfaction of hearing me cry. I still can’t stop the tears from spilling over and running down my cheeks as Ronnie settles back over me again.
“Don’t cry bitch. Not yet anyway”, he purrs softly as he kisses the tracks of my tears on the left side of my face. I feel myself wretch as more tears spill over my face. Ronnie starts to kiss my mouth again as he presses his body harder into mine. Ronnie lets out a moan as he positions his cock at my entrance.
I want the feel of his skin off of mine! I want to burst into a million pieces and disappear out of this room, this house, this world! Ronnie draws back to slam forward into me when the bedroom door bursts open.
Ronnie jumps up and whirls around to face the door. I jump up and make a run for the door not caring who’s standing there. When my head snaps up I see the face of Rebecca Cohen. I push past her as hard as I can, trying to get out of this house as fast as I can.
“I thought you weren’t fucking him, slut!” Rebecca screams.
“Shut the fuck up Rebecca!” Ronnie yells.
Fearing he is right behind me I run as fast as I can down the steps nearly tripping over my dress in the process. When I reach the bottom of the stairs I twist my ankle harshly as I land awkwardly on my feet. I push my way to the door, knocking through and over people as I try to make it. Most are too stoned to even care.
“Marva!” I hear Ronnie’s voice yell. Out of fear I turn around to see how close he is. I see him standing at the top of the steps before quickly making his way down them.
“Marva!” I hear Staci’s voice yell as I swing open the door and run down the steps.
I keep running all the way down the pathway of the house not bothering to turn around now.
“Marva, come back! I’m sorry”, I hear Ronnie yell in the distance.
His voice is still too close for comfort, so I run harder and faster even though it hurts like hell, until I reach the end of the pathway and see a grey sedan filled with kids.
I run up to the car and look directly at the driver, a brown haired boy with a crooked nose.
“Got room for one more”, I ask breathlessly.
“Sure Marva”, the crooked nose boy answers.
I don’t know the boy, but he knows me. Marva Mallory. I jump in the backseat.

No comments:

Post a Comment