Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"Unexpected Love" Chapter 5

The much anticipated chapter 5! Enjoy!


Unexpected Love

Chapter 5


We are sitting in Marva’s room after school, talking and kissing. But mostly kissing.
“I still can’t believe this Marva”, I gasp out as we kiss.
“Mmmm, I can’t either”, she answers while running her small hands through my hair.
We kiss for a few more minutes until Marva finally pulls away. Smiling at me she stands up.
“I have to go to the bathroom real quick.”
“Okay”, I say still dazed from our tongue aerobics.
I lay back on Marva’s bed amazed at how much me and Marva’s relationship has changed. Yesterday, I talked to her about my dad. Something I have never done with anyone. I don’t even talk about him with Mom. I was so overcome with emotion as I recalled that day he took his life. And Marva made herself a shoulder to cry on. It felt so wonderful being wrapped in her arms. The warmth of her body and her soothing words consoling me. When she leaned down to kiss me that had to be the most wonderful moment in my life. Fifteen years of longing and love was spoken in the way I kissed her back. And if she had not have stopped me while we dry humped on the bed, I would have definitely made love to her. Even though I’m a virgin, my passion for her would have made me make love to her thoroughly until she screamed my name in release.
After a great dinner with Marva’s family, I went home as happy as ever. Sleeping one of the most wonderful sleeps I’ve ever had. Mom noticed my good mood this morning and asked me what had gotten my spirits so lifted. I shook my head and just said “nothing” while smiling like a Cheshire cat. Carl and Jose asked me the same thing at school and I answered them the same way.
I was practically on cloud nine when Marva asked me to come to her house as we got off the school bus. After finishing some homework, we talked a little before her lips met mine.
Marva walks back into the room and sits down on the bed. She gives me a quick kiss on the cheek.
“So what is this thing between us, Marva?” I didn’t want to pressure Marva into anything but I just had to know where this new connection was heading.
“I’m not sure”, Marva sighs heavily. “Let’s just take it slow and see where it goes.”
“Um, well yesterday Ronnie Brimstone threatened me on the bus. He said I should back off of you.” I was hesitant to tell Marva this, but I felt it was best before something happened.
“What?!”Marva exclaims. “I can’t believe him! That…that jerk! How dare him!”
“I know, I’m sorry”
“No! You don’t have anything to be sorry about! Damn, why won’t Ronnie just leave me alone? He’s the one that needs to back off!”
“Can I ask you a question?”
“Yeah”, Marva huffs out.
“Why is Ronnie so determined to make you his girlfriend?”
Marva sighs heavily before standing up to walk around some. She looks out her window then walks over to her plush chair to sit.
“I’m not sure. He asked me out freshman year and I told him no. I guess he must have thought I wasn’t ready to date anyone yet. But as time went on and I still kept refusing him, he started taking it very personal. I guess he’s punishing me by intimidating or beating up guys he knows like me. He kind of has a ‘if I can’t have you, no one can’ type of mentality.
I try not letting it get to me. I’m not really that into dating anyways. And besides, once school is over I won’t have to deal with him.”
I nod my head in understanding.
“Now, let’s stop talking about that”, Marva says as she waves her hand at me dismissively.
We sit in silence for several moments, just passing the time with our thoughts.
“Marva?”
Marva looks up at me curiously.
“I want to thank you for being so understanding last night when we talked about my fa…I mean, my Dad.
I thought about him a lot last night and I-I’ve realized that I need to be more understanding towards him.”
“That’s great, Rick. And you’re welcome.”
“I don’t know if I can forgive him though.”
“Don’t say that. My Dad always told me that forgiveness takes time. You may not be able to forgive him know, but one day you’ll reach a point when you’ll be able to.”
I couldn’t help but stare at Marva in amazement.
“How did you get so wise?” I ask.
“Me? Wise?” Marva scoffs. “Please. I’m just repeating what my parents have told me in these kinds of situations. If anyone is wise, it’s them.”
“How’s your Mom’s pregnancy coming along?”
“Great. Even though Mom is eating the weirdest things and she can get really moody.”
We both laugh.
“You never told me if she was having a boy or girl.”
“We don’t know yet. My parents want to find out when the baby’s born.”
“Ah”, I say nodding my head. “So you sure you ready to be a big sister?”
“Hell, yeah!” Marva exclaims. “I even get to name the baby when it’s born.”
“That’s cool. Sometimes I wish my parents would have had another kid. It was kind of lonely growing up.”
“Really, I liked being an only child. Plus, I had plenty of friends to make up for the lack of siblings.”
“Yeah, but I never had any friends except for Carl and Jose.”
Carl, Jose, and I have been friends since elementary school. They, like me, are basically ‘nobodies’ at school. But no one could ask for better friends. They have seen me through it all. Getting teased, being bullied, being in love with Marva, and of course my Dad’s suicide. But Carl and Jose are really suspicious of Marva suddenly befriending me. ‘Why now?’ they keep asking. And unfortunately I can’t really answer it.
I notice that Marva is now standing in front of me, staring down at me. She straddles my lap and wraps her arms around my neck.
I stare into her eyes as she stares into mine. I wrap my arms tightly around her waist and pull her closer as I connect my lips with hers.

After Rick had left I thought about our new ‘connection’. I had no idea where it was headed or if I was going to let it continue. I don’t even know what it really is. Rick was sweet and I really liked him but I still had my doubts. Though I had to admit he was an awesome kisser. His kisses took me to a whole new world, they we so passionate and consuming. And I knew they manifested his real feelings for me.
I walk over to my laptop and pull up a playlist. This one is my dance playlist and like the title suggests, includes songs that I can dance to. I dance until my heart’s content before heading down to dinner.
Dinner was a nice meal of chicken breast, brown rice, and asparagus. Mom has been keeping it simple and healthy since she got pregnant.
“So honey, have you found a date for prom yet?” Mom asks from across the table.
I realize how blessed I am to have the parents that I have. A lot of kids don’t get to enjoy the act of eating dinner with their parents and have engaging conversations with them.
“No, not yet”, I answer.
“Well, what about Rick? I noticed you and him spending a lot of time together lately.”
“Mom, we’re just friends.”
My Mom raises her eyebrow; obviously she’s not buying that.
“Ronnie Brimstone asked me to go with him though.” I feel my mouth hurt while I say those words.
“The star linebacker?” Dad asks his mouth stuffed with chicken.
I nod my head.
“You mean the boy who has been trying to take you out since freshman year and can’t take a hint.”
“Yeah, him”, I grimace. “But I don’t have a lot of options so…”
“My sweetie doesn’t have options?” Dad furrows his brow.
“It’s a long story, honey”, says Mom.
Mom knows all about the Ronnie Brimstone situation. She tries to convince me to stand up to him, but I know that will just make him angrier and more determined.
“Well, you don’t have a lot of time left, sweetie. Choose quickly, but wisely.
“Your Dad’s right. Don’t do anything you don’t want to do.”
I nod my head in agreement. Even though I have no clue of what I’m going to do. Maybe I could go with Rick. He would be waaaaaaay more pleasant than Ronnie’s cocky ass.
After dinner I head upstairs to prepare for bed. As I lay in bed I seriously ponder asking Rick to prom. I don’t want him to think we’re an official couple but I can’t stand the idea of going with Ronnie. He is the last person I want to be standing next to in my prom picture.
It was Thursday and the day seemed to be going by fast. I was thinking of the surprise picnic I had planned for me and Marva. We were going to skip the school bus and take the local bus to the park. I had everything for the picnic in my locker; the blanket, plastic plates and cups, forks and spoons, and of course food. I had made salami sandwiches (Marva’s favorite) and a fruit salad the night before, I even packed a couple of Pepsi’s. I had stored the food in a small cooler and at the bus stop this morning Marva asked me what was in it.
‘Nothing’, I had told her. She looked at me suspiciously before letting it go.
Me, Carl, and Jose sat in study hall going over notes from Calculus. We had been studying quietly for about fifteen minutes without really talking. I had a really pressing issue on my mind and I wanted to ask their advice.
“I-I was thinking of asking Marva to go to prom with me.”
Carl and Jose look up at me as if I were crazy.
“W-What are you crazy?! There is no way in hell that she is going to say yes!” Jose exclaims.
“Well, thanks for being supportive”, I say sarcastically.
“He doesn’t mean it like that, Rick”, Carl jumps in. “It’s just…Well, we’ve been watching you for the past couple of weeks and we admit you do seem happier. The girl you’ve been in love with since you were three has finally noticed you. But why, Rick? Why now? Why not years ago?”
“Why are guys being so cynical? Maybe she just wanted to get to know me after all these years?”
“That girl has known you for years, Rick. What is she getting out of being your friend? Girls like her only look out for themselves”, Jose says.
“I-I talked to her about my Dad! And she comforted me while I cried in her arms! She helped me come to terms with his suicide. No one has done that, not even you guys”, I spat out angrily.
Carl and Jose glance at each other and didn’t speak for several moments.
“Rick”, Carl sighs. “We are just looking out for you. We don’t want her to use you, and then ditch you.”
“Me and Marva we’re really connecting now. We made out. We’ve been making out a lot lately. I don’t know what it means, but I know she has some kind of feelings for me.”
I sit back in my chair angrily. I hate to be angry at Carl and Jose, but I just want them to be happy for me.
“Has she said she wants you to be her boyfriend?” Jose asks.
“No.”
“Has she even vocalized any feelings she has for you?”
“No”, I breathe out.
“Rick, if you feel it’s right, then ask her out to prom. Me and Jose just want you to be careful.”
“I know”, I sigh.
“No hard feelings?” Jose asks with a smile.
“Never”, I smile back.
We get back to our Calculus homework and put the Marva discussion behind us.

As the bell rings I make my way out of homeroom. Rick told me to meet him at the local bus stop after school. He says it’s a surprise and I have to admit I am a little excited.
“Hey, don’t forget I’m coming over to your place around five, okay”, Amber calls out to me from her locker.
“Alright”, I call back.
I make my way to the doors when a strong hand grabs my arm and whirls me around. I am about to let out a slew of curse words at the grabber when I recognize the face of Ronnie.
“Where you headed?” he asks rubbing his calloused hand up and down my arm.
“Why do you care?” I ask saucily.
“The doors to the school bus are the other way”, he says.
“I’m going out with a friend.”
Ronnie furrows his brows before shaking his curly, brown head.
“Careful, Marva. You don’t want to get Rick fucked up.”
“Ronnie, leave me alone and mind your business”, I say as I snatch my arm from his grasp. I am beyond disgusted now.
Ronnie narrows his eyes at me before giving me a smile that doesn’t reach his green eyes. “Tomorrow, I want my answer, babe.”
“Whatever”, I huff before turning and marching out of the steel doors.
I meet up with Rick at the local bus stop. I notice he’s carrying the same cooler he had this morning.
“Hey”, I say trying to hide my flustered look.
“Hi”, Rick smiles.
We don’t talk much and when the bus comes we board and Rick pays for both of our fares. We sit in silence as the bus moves along and we aren’t riding for more than a few minutes before Rick pulls the cord.
We hop off the bus and I notice we are in front of a park. Now I’m even more confused. We walk through the park until we reach a huge tree that casts shade for yards. Rick pulls out a checkered blanket from his backpack and spreads it on the ground.
“It was my Dad’s”, he says as he begins to take out food from the cooler. I sit down on the blanket as Rick arranges everything. He pulls out sandwiches, fruit salad, and some Pepsi’s.
“I know you like Coke best. But I only had Pepsi at home”, Rick says apologetically.
“That’s fine”, I smile. How did I ever overlook Rick? He’s the guy most girls dream of.
“Rick, this is really sweet of you. You really didn’t have too”, I gush.
“I wanted to, Marva”, he eyes me warmly.
As we dig in to the sandwiches and salad we talk casually about current events, music, and school.
“How does it feel being so popular?” Rick asks as he pops a watermelon slice into his mouth.
“I don’t know really. Everyone seems to know you and like you. But that’s about it.”
“You’ve got to be kidding”, Rick says. “You’re Marva Mallory; all the girls in school want to be you!”
“I don’t know about that”, I say.
“I’m serious. You’re the most popular girl in school and the most popular boy in school wants you as his girlfriend. The only girl at school who even comes close to you is Amber.”
I shrug my shoulders. “The only people who look up to us are losers. They’re too lame to see that us, “the popular kids”, aren’t that much different from them.”
 “I put on the popular front for them”, I say. “You know, the haughtiness and such.
Rick nods his head in understanding.
“Marva?” I look Rick in his warm, hazel eyes.
“You are so beautiful. I’ve had the biggest crush on you since we were small. I admire, respect, but most of all I-I love you M-Marva.”
I stare at Rick in amazement. I open my mouth to respond but he quiets me by placing his finger on my lips.
“No, don’t say anything. I know you may not be ready for a relationship with me. But I just want you to know how I feel. I just want us to be together.”
I continue to stare at Rick and for a second he looks as if he is about to continue talking, but instead he takes a swig of his Pepsi and remains silent.
***~~~***
I open the door to my room, and me and Rick walk over to my bed. After our picnic I invited Rick over to my house. I did so hesitantly though. After what Rick revealed to me I didn’t want to lead him on. I am flattered by his feelings towards me but I’m not ready to reciprocate.
We sit down and without thinking I lean towards him and kiss him. ‘What are you doing?’ I think. But I push the doubt out of my mind as I rub my tongue against his. Damn, I like this.
Just then the door swings open.
“Hey Mar…”, Amber says staring in amazement at me and Rick.
Me and Rick pull away quickly from each other as Amber continues to look at us in shock. Rick jumps up and quickly grabs his things before heading towards the door.
“I-I’ll s-see you later”, he sputters before walking around Amber and heading out the door.
As I hear Rick rush down the stairs, Amber crosses her arms while staring at me. Damn, we’ve been busted!

No comments:

Post a Comment